Is there any more delicious or widely celebrated Summer food than burgers? A BBQ wouldn’t be complete without them and just because you’re trying to eat healthier doesn’t mean you have to miss out. This week I decided to skip the beef and try out one of my most favorite superfoods on the planet: sweet potatoes.
Shakespeare introduced the sweet vegetable to Europe as an unparalleled aphrodisiac in “The Merry Wives of Windsor.” In addition to that royal title, sweet potatoes are packed full of vitamins A, B, and C, in addition to being full or dietary fiber, iron, and manganese. They contain a ton of Vitamin D, which plays a huge role in our mood, energy levels, and supports thyroid function. Sweet potatoes are a great source of Magnesium, which is necessary for healthy artery, blood, bone, heart, muscle, and nerve function. They also have a low glycemic index, so no big sugar rushes or crashes. The curvacious root veggie is also rich in Potassium, which is great at relieving stress, perhaps being useful being the person that brought sweet potato burgers to a football game BBQ.
I also threw in some cannellini beans. They are one of my most favorite beans as they are so versatile and are actually amazing for your skin. They’re a goldmine of antioxidants and protect your skin from free radicals and too much sun. So go be bold with your delicious homemade veggie burgers and enjoy the Summer sun!
- 2 cans of organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1½ tbsp tahini
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour (or coconut for gluten free)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake sweet potato until soft and allow to cool before peeling.
- Put peeled potato in a large mixing bowl and add beans and beaten egg and mash together.
- Mash in the seasoning and flour.
- Form patties.
- Heat 1 tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
- Coat the patties individually in panko and cook until browned on both sides.
- Let the cooked patties cool and serve with mustard, avocado, cheese, whatever you like!